Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Preterm Labor


On Tuesday, March 6th I went for a routine NST (non-stress test) at the Shaw center. After my NST, I had a regularly scheduled appointment with Dr. Bruhn. The NST tracks the babies hearts for at least 20 minutes to make sure they are not under any stress. When Dr. Bruhn looked at my results, she wasn't sure if they actually recorded both babies or just one. She wasn't really worried, but since it was late in the day she decided to send me to the hospital to have another NST. 

When we got to the hospital they set me up in a room to monitor me. Little did we know, I had begun to have contractions. At this time I was 31.3 weeks pregnant-not a time you want to start having contractions. They checked my cervix and I was 1cm dilated and 50% effaced. They gave me magnesium to stop my contractions but it didn't work. I am not sure of the timing, but a hour or two later they decided that they needed to send me to Albany, just in case I did have to deliver these babies. Thomasville does not have a NICU, hence why I had to go to Albany (about 1 hour North)

We got to Phoebe Putney in Albany around midnight (I think). I had to be brought there by ambulance, which was no fun! We got checked in and they continued the Magnesium. Just for the record Magnesium is a wonderful/horrible thing. It is wonderful because it stopped my labor, but it is HORRIBLE because it makes you feel like you are on fire-seriously. I was burning up and the room's temperature was in the 50s! Everyone that walked into the room acted like they needed a winter coat, I thought they were kidding! I also got steroid shots while at the hospital just in case the babies came it was supposed to make their lungs mature. 

I had to stay in Albany until Saturday, Saturday, March 10th. I was sent home on modified bed rest for the rest of my pregnancy. That meant no more work. I was so happy to be able to go home and sleep in my own bed. I am sure Christopher was glad too. Poor christopher did not have the best sleeping conditions at the hospital, but he never left my side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment